Wednesday 27 February 2008

5 BEST NEW BITS OF GEAR FOR THIS TRIP



1) Mapcase
Wendy has adapted an Ortlieb walkers´ mapcase to replace the small leaky one integral to the bar bag. Its large, frost proof and fits over her bar bag but is easily released for access to it.

2) Headtorch
I have held out a long time before getting one of these. Mainly due to the high wally factor and being blinded by other people. But now I wouldn't be without it especially as I was previously in serious danger of swallowing my torch.

3) Gaiters
Not yet tested fully due to the lack of intensive rain but they have worked well in persistent drizzle. Another Wendy idea, we have (non bulky) junior gaiters which fit on our boots/shoes and under our over trousers not only adding warmth to the ankles but stopping our feet from getting wet.

4) Second Thermarest
Wendy, being a hardcore camper, has a foam mat while I have the luxury of a thermarest. We have brought a second short thermarest which we place across our mats under our hips. This gives a big increase in comfort in the vital area.

5) Keyboard and Screen
I thought of the 5 items in this list as I was cycling then while typing I could remember only 4. The fifth of course is what I'm now using. Wendy was keen to digitise her diaries so wanted a method of direct typing. After much research she got a Quickpad Pro. I was a bit sceptical but now I have caught the blogging bug I really appreciate the time it saves in soulless internet cafes. And I'm able to write this in the open air and with a view of snow-capped mountains.

1 comment:

eD said...

YeS!! Welcome to headtorch heaven. If you ever see a zipka (that retracting wire design), get one before they phase them out - difficult to buy these days, no one stocks em anymore. I've written Petzl a letter.

Love the gators too (You must look dead cool!)

Kisses, and thanks to your blog for keeping me alive in the lab... superb

love eD